During January 2015 and January 2016, RSI were commissioned by SKANSKA, on behalf of Oxfordshire County Council, to undertake Principal inspections and non-destructive testing surveys to 17No. road over railway bridges and 19No. Dis-used railway bridges within Oxfordshire.
Structures varied in types from masonry jack arch structures to reinforced concrete structures. Inspection access methods ranged from our in-house rope access technicians, pontoon mounted scaffold, scaffold towers and the utilisation of confined space equipment.
Non-destructive testing techniques undertaken by our PTS trained technicians included;
- Close up visual inspection of all bridge elements
- Targeted Half Cell 2m x 1m test grids at 500mm spacing’s to abutment walls and deck soffits
- Main reinforcement cover survey
- Dust sampling for chloride content analysis within concrete
- In‐situ test for depth of carbonation on freshly broken concrete surface
- Ultrasonic thickness testing of elements within steel girders
- Localised breakouts of beams for web thickness readings
- Trial pits to carriageway to determine cover to arch crown
- Topographical surveys
From the information collected full in-depth reports were compiled detailing structural elements and defects with advised remedial actions, Dimension surveys in Auto CAD format, Bridge Condition Index pro-formas for remedial works costing purposes and UKAS accredited laboratory test results.
The works were completed within the scheduled programme and to the clients brief and satisfaction with regular communication throughout the works to ensure a quality service was maintained .