During March 2015 to May 2016, RSI were commissioned by various Tier 1 contractors, including Balfour Beatty Mott MacDonald (HE Area 4), Aone+ (HE Area 7) Kier Highways (HE Area 9) to undertake targeted concrete and steel condition testing to structures.
Testing was carried out In accordance with the benchmark specification supplied by Parsons Brinckerhoff –WSP and comprised of the following:
- Dust drilling to obtain samples for subsequent chloride ion contamination
- Targeted 2m x 1m half cell test grids in areas of suspected salt contamination
- Concrete resistivity measurement undertaken using a 2 probe test
- In‐situ test for depth of carbonation on freshly broken concrete surface
- Paint adhesion testing by cross cuts
- Paint sampling for harmful substances
- Ultrasonic weld testing
- Close visual inspection of welds via x15 illuminated magnifier
All obtained dust and paint samples were retained, sealed and uniquely labelled in polythene bags, then returned to our UKAS accredited laboratory for chemical analysis.
Once all the information was collated, a full comprehensive report was produced compiling of Auto CAD drawings with developed views of tested elements, half cell contour maps to assist in a rapid assessment of the tested areas, clear photographic evidence of tests completed and a UKAS accredited laboratory report for sampling results.
All of the works were completed by our in house PTS trained technicians during night time single lane closures on the highways or controlled rail possessions at weekends to minimise disruption. RSI staff utilised in‐house equipment to complete the works and comprised of the following :‐
- Nissan Cabstar ‐ Multitel 22M Mobile elevated Working Platform
- Hilti PS250 Cover meter (Ferroscan)
- Hilti TE‐60 hammer drill with 20MM drill bit
- Elcometer half cell potential monitor and diode
- Resistivity 2 probe kit
- Cross cut adhesion test equipment
- x15 illuminated magnifier
- Sitescan 150.
- All required PPE
The works were completed within the scheduled programme and to the clients brief. All testing was carried out following our in‐house
testing procedures and in accordance with BA35/90.