Step ahead with modular platforms
Aspin’s pre-cast platform solutions are just part of an extensive range of services that Aspin provides for the UK’s
rail industry. They offer important advantages over cross wall and plank construction.
• Savings; in excavation and construction materials, on site working, construction time and whole life costs
• Reduced risk; reduced construction risk and requirement for possessions
• Track stability; reduced impact
• Improved safety, quality and environmental performance
• Long life; higher quality and longer life, with reduced maintenance
• Increased flexibility for temporary and future alignment of platforms
• Improved capability for future upgrades
• High integrity and robust
• Equivalent capital cost of a traditional solution, with a lower lifetime ownership cost
Aspin’s platform is a pre-cast concrete solution, supported on steel piles. They can usually be installed in a single shift and in most weathers as a complete modular and ergonomic solution. The pre-cast slabs incorporate the coping stone, tactile drainage and fence fixings.Once the slabs are lifted into position the joints are then filled with mastic and the fence is erected for a rapid and sustainable platform.
As the platform decks are constructed off-site, the requirement for wet trades is removed and less waste is generated.
Reduced transport and labour helps with lower carbon waste and the rapid installation times help safety as people hours on track are minimised.
It’s a system that delivers all-round advantages to the rail infrastructure, with costs equivalent to more traditional methods.
The Solution when Speed is of the essence
Bedford Station: One of the first stations in the UK to use Aspin’s platform solutions. A platform surface of 93 metres was delivered in a 27 hour possession - work which would usually take three months. Savings on the possessions costs were estimated at £157k.
Hayes and Harlington: These works had limited access to the working area, overhead lines and challenging ground conditions. Each foundation was pre-drilled and the platforms 4 and 5 were completed on time in 9 x 12 hour shifts over Christmas.
Wilnecote Station This required the lowering and slueing of an existing platform and a new 96m platform while maintaining a fully operational platform. The Aspin design solution included staggered start dates, with pre-prepared foundations and frameworks. The platform was completed on time over a 52 hour Christmas possession.
- Civil Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Structural Survey
- Modular Platform Extensions